Simple Harmony Farms Uncappers
Description from Simple Harmony Farms Website:
Our uncapper is a brand new design which offers a simple and superior way for the hobby or sideline beekeeper to uncap honey.
The biggest advantage our uncapper offers is the time it saves. The beekeeper has only to grasp the frame once to bring the frame from the super to the extractor. Both sides of the frame are uncapped at the same time. All other methods of uncapping require re-positioning the frame and hands multiple times during the uncapping process. All other ways waste time processing every frame. We uncap and load our 30 frame extractor in just under 5 minutes.
The uncapper is designed to work with all sizes of Langstroth frames, including shallows, mediums and deeps.
Some other advantages are:
- There is no heat, electricity or sharp edges.
- Wax waste is minimal, saving your bees the time it takes to rebuild the frame. This also saves you time since your honey strainer will be slow to fill with cappings.
- The uncapper body is made from high density polyethylene and the rollers are cut on a CNC lathe from a solid piece of 2" aluminum bar stock. It is incredibly durable.The body protects the rollers from damage, even if dropped. I three years I have not had to replace my O-rings on my personal uncapper. If needed, replacing the O-rings is simple and they are easily purchased. We use #330 2 1/8" ID x 2 1/2" OD x 3/16 Diameter Buna-N 70 O-rings.
1. How many frames would you say you have run through it?
A: I've used my uncapper for five years. In that time I have had between 25 and 40 hives per season. I harvest at least twice a year.
2. How well does it uncap darker comb?
A: Darker comb is not as easy as newer comb, no matter what uncapping process you use. I do use it on old/brood comb that has been filled. In stubborn/dark/old/skinny frames, I have found that holding the frame at an angle during the uncapping process helps by applying more pressure to the comb than would normally be exerted by the device alone.
3. Is it bolted to the tank to keep it from moving around?
A: The uncapper is fastened to the tank of your choice by as few as two screws. I use drywall screws but the type will depend on your specific application.
4. Can the uncapper be used on natural wax foundation?
A: Yes! I've uncapped no wire medium supers with natural wax foundation. There were no problems.
5. Is there a warranty?
A: Simple Harmony Farms warrants this uncapper to be free from defects in workmanship and materials, under normal use and conditions, for a period of one (1) year from the original invoice .