Spring 2024 Nucs-4 Frame Deep
WHEN PURCHASING NUCS PLEASE LEAVE YOUR OMAFRA BEEKEEPER ID # IN THE NOTE SECTION DURING CHECK OUT!IF YOUR BEES ARE NOT REGISTERED WITH OMAFRA PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK HERE TO REGISTER YOUR BEES. REGISTRATION IS FREE!
- (3) deep frames of brood in various stages (eggs, larvae, capped brood)
- (1) deep frame of honey
- (1) Queen
Pick up dates for 2024 Spring Nuc(s) are Saturday June 1st and Saturday June 8th. Pick up time is between 8am-12pm. When purchasing, please select the date you would like to pick up your nuc(s.) *Please note…pickup dates may be moved ahead or back depending on the spring weather but we will do our best to supply you on the date you pick. Please be understanding of this as bees are livestock and we want to ensure that you get the best Nuc(s) possible!
We will contact you to confirm and remind you of your order/pick-up date closer to the date. If nuc(s) are not picked up on confirmed pick up date and time then you are forfeiting your nuc(s) and payment.
Please note all deposits or payments made at time of ordering are non-refundable.
***Please note when picking up your bees***
- We will have the bees taped shut, however it is the new beekeepers responsibility to ensure that they are fully sealed. The bees can eat through the tape and occasionally the boxes, so it is a possibility that the bees can escape during transportation. Mesh transport bags can be purchased online or in store if this is a concern for you.
- Nuc(s) pick up will be between 8am-12pm. The earlier you come to pick up your bees the less time that they have been "locked" in the nuc box therefore the less chance of them overheating. Basically the longer they sit the hotter they get and the greater chance of the bees overheating and dying.
- We are not responsible for bees overheating once they leave our care.
- The ideal way to transport your nuc(s) is in the back of a pick up truck. If you choose to put them in a SUV or trunk/backseat of a car please do so at your own and the bees risk. If you choose to transport them in the backseat of a car or SUV you may want to consider bringing a sheet or some netting or purchasing a mesh transport bag online or in store.
- You may want to bring your protective clothing or purchase some online or in store especially if you are putting your bees in the backseat of a car or SUV.
- Nuc(s) need to be moved into a larger space (8 frame or 10 frame equipment) as soon as you get them home. It is ideal to pre-purchase your hive equipment and have it all set up and ready to go for the nuc(s) to arrive and be installed.
- It is recommended to feed your bees sugar water (1 part sugar to one part water) for the first week or two to help them get established especially if you are using brand new/un-drawn frames.
- All concerns or issues must be brought to our attention within 48 hours of pick up.
We also recommend taking an Introduction to Beekeeping Course, watching Paul Kelly's videos from the University of Guelph's Honeybee Research Centre and doing some research if you are a first time beekeeper.